History of Palani

 

Palani is a city and a municipality in the Dindigul district of Tamil Nadu, located about 60 km from the city of Dindigul. It is the location of the far-famed temple of the god Muruga.
Anda Nadu covers the northern part of the Palani and Oddanchatram taluks  whereas the rest of the area constituted the Vaiyapuri Nadu.


In 18th century history comes from the records of Hyder Ali and his son, Tippoo Sultaun, which was handed over to the British on the surrender of the Dindigul district after the Third Anglo-Mysore War. poligars or palayakarars ruled the palani in that period. Considering the fact that there are numerous people of the Nayakar caste who claim descent from what is modern-day Andhra Pradesh and who retain some vestiges of the Telugu tongue, in Balasamudram, it is more than probable that their forebears were given charge of the fort of that place by the kings of Madurai and retained its control long after their sovereigns had been displaced.

 

 


Last Updated - - Designed & Content Managed by Pollachi.Org. Hosted & Technical Support by Designs Worldwide Solutions

Best viewed with resolution 1024 * 768 px.

Copyright © 2010 www.pollachi.org   All Rights Reserved.

Home | About us | Our Services | Photo Gallery | Feedback Form | Site Map | Contact Us